Service Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Service Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
I may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Service Academy Nomination from my office, please complete the form below. I wish you all the best as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
The deadline for receiving application, ACT or SAT scores, essay, high school transcript, and letters of recommendation is November 8th of the applicant’s senior year.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to send and postmark all information no later than November 8, 2019, in order to assure that the application will be considered.
- All applicants must be at least 17 years of age and not yet 22 on July 1st of the year of admission.
- Candidates must qualify medically and academically, pass a physical aptitude test, and obtain a nomination from a source authorized by Congress. Each academy will inform candidates of its requirements for medical examination and the physical aptitude test. Please include results in application.
- All candidates should request a Pre-Candidate Questionnaire from the academy or academies of their choice. Academy admissions offices may eliminate from further consideration those candidates who do not meet the minimum academic requirements.
- Each candidate must take either the SAT or ACT and submit a copy of scores to my office by the deadline of November 1st of his/her senior year.
- Each candidate must submit an official copy of his/her high school transcript with a listing of class rank and grade point average, if available.
- Each candidate should submit three letters of recommendation to my office: one from his/her high school counselor or principal, one from a teacher under whom he/she has studied, and one from another adult who is not a relative.
- Each candidate should submit a written essay, not to exceed 250 words, explaining why he/she wishes to attend an academy. Essays will be judged on content, grammar, and clarity of expression. Please use MLA format.
- Please include a recent color photograph with your application.
- Please submit all materials at the same time. Test scores can be sent separately.
*Please make sure you have an application at the academy of your second choice as well.
Service Academy Addresses
U.S. Military Academy
606 Thayer Road
West Point, New York 10996
Candidate Guidance Office
U.S. Naval Academy
Annapolis, Maryland 21402-5018
U.S. Air Force Academy
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80840
Director of Admissions
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
New London, Connecticut 06320-4195
Director of Admissions
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Kingsport, New York 11024-1699