Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Agency Help

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need.  While I cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, my staff and I will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Important Information

My office can help you if:

What my office can do:

  • Help you communicate with federal agencies.
  • Request information or a status report on your case.
  • Request that an agency consider or reconsider your case.
  • Submit an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf.
  • Assist with applying for benefits, such as Social Security or Medicare.
  • Help you obtain basic information from a federal agency.

What my office cannot do:

  • Make an inquiry on behalf of someone who is not a resident of Georgia’s 5th Congressional District.
  • Force a federal agency to act in your favor or speed up your case.
  • Provide legal advice or recommend an attorney.
  • Overturn or influence matters involving private businesses.
  • Intervene with state or local issues.  My office cannot overturn or influence matters under the jurisdiction of state or local governments.  If your issue involves state agencies, please contact your state legislators or contact the state agency directly. The Governor of Georgia’s office may also be able to help you with state issues.  If your issue involves a local government or school system, please contact the appropriate local officials like a member of your county’s Board of Commissioners, your City Council, or your Board of Education.
  • Intervene with judicial issues.  My office cannot legally get involved with pending litigation, including questions about criminal trials or imprisonment, child custody issues, deportation proceedings, and civil lawsuits.  My office cannot overturn or in any way influence a court’s decision.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your request, such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Your A Number or Receipt Number for cases with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved; and
  • Your address, home phone number, and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain additional information that might be needed.

If you have an issue with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:

If you have any questions, please call my Atlanta office at (404) 659-0116.

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.  We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.

Authorization Form

This is a three step process.  Step one is to fill in the form with the required data, then click the “Generate Request for Review” button at the bottom of the page.  Once reviewed, print and mail, fax, or hand deliver the document to my office.  The address and fax number are on the generated page.

In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, I give Congressman John Lewis authority to act on my behalf.

  marks required fields of data.

Your Information

What are these options?
This is to help the constituents that are hard of hearing or use a video phone alert us to that fact so we can use the proper technology when we need to call them. The default option “Voice” is a normal audible telephone.

Print This Form

Use the Generate Request for Review button to produce the document to authorize my office to help you. Print, sign, and mail, fax, or hand-deliver it to the address shown on the document. Please include any other documents or material that you think would help my office help you.

Please mail or hand-deliver to:
Congressman John Lewis
100 Peachtree Street N.W. 
Suite 1920
Atlanta, GA  30303
Fax: (404) 331-0947
If you have any questions, please call my Atlanta office at (404) 659-0116.
If you are seeking assistance with an immigration related issue, USCIS requires a separate information privacy release form.
Please download this form, fill out, print and return by mail to the Atlanta office.