$2.9 Million for 5th District in House Transportation Bill
June 7, 2006 - "Ever since my first day in Congress 20 years ago," said Rep. John Lewis, "I have remained focused on using all the resources available at the federal level to help the Atlanta metropolitan area confront the issues of traffic congestion. These FY'07 funds will help our community find ways to improve the quality of life for residents of and visitors to one of the most important urban centers in the South."
Rep. John Lewis is responsible for securing the $1.7 million in funding for the following 5th District projects in the FY07 Transportation, Treasury, HUD House Appropriations bill, and he supported $1.2 million in additional funding for the remaining projects.
- The Belt Line [draft environment study and preliminary engineering]: $250,000
- Georgia State University Science Park: $100,000
- East Point Roadway Improvement Project: $250,000
- Atlanta Botanical Gardens: $100,000
- Georgia Tech Research Transportation Center: $500,000
- Clifton Corridor Study: $500,000
- Cobb County Chattahoochee Hill Country Trail Master Plan: $200,000
- MARTA Bus Acquisition Program: $500,000
- MARTA Northline Corridor: $250,000
- CTE (Southern Fuel Cell Technology): $500,000
These appropriations have been approved by the House and still need to be passed by the U.S. Senate to become law.