Coronavirus: Educational Resources
Update: April 2, 2020
Parents are maintaining regular contact with their child’s school regarding any specific distance learning resources or requirements. While library branches are closed, you might wish to use digital tools offered by the Fulton County Library System, DeKalb County Public Library, and Clayton County Library System.
Additional federal, state, and local resources are available to help your children learn while coronavirus keeps them from the classroom:
- Library of Congress: Smart Fun for Kids
- Smithsonian Institution: Distance Learning
- Georgia Department of Education: Coronavirus Information
- Georgia Department of Education: Digital Learning
- Georgia Department of Education: Georgia Virtual School
- Georgia Public Broadcasting: Education
- Georgia Public Broadcasting: elearning Daily Newsletter
- Georgia Public Broadcasting: Emergency Closings Collection
- Georgia Public Library Service
- Georgia's Virtual Library: GALILEO
Update: March 22, 2020
While many schools have temporarily closed their doors, tools are available to assist parents with educating their children from home. However, each school or school district fosters its own program on how to adjust to the current pandemic. I recommend contacting your relevant institution for best practices. Talking to children about Coronavirus may be difficult but the CDC has provided an online resource to help parents and those working with children approach the subject. PBS has also provided tips on how to approach the topic.
Although changes have been made in how our students are learning, civil rights must still be protected. The Department of Education has released a fact sheet and webinar to serve as guidance for protecting the civil rights of students with disabilities for schools using online learning tools during the COVID-19 outbreak. Additional resources for schools and school personnel may be found on the Department of Education’s website.
- PBS Learning Media K-12
- PBS Distance Learning Resources
- Smithsonian Learning Lab (Resources for Distance Learning)
- Smithsonian Resources and Collections
- Smithsonian Museum Specific Collections