’Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.’—Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
I fought too long and too hard to end discrimination based on race and color, to not stand up against discrimination against our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” As your representative in Congress, I work daily to combat injustice and fight for equality.
Human rights, civil rights, these are issues of dignity. Every human being walking this Earth, whether gay, lesbian, straight, or transgendered, is entitled to the same rights. It is in keeping with America’s promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Congressman Lewis is proud to be a cosponsor and advocate of the following bills:
- ENDA, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act
- Respect for Marriage Act (bill to repeal DOMA)
- Tax Equity for Health Plan Beneficiaries Act
- Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act
- Equal Access to COBRA Act
- Family Leave Insurance Act
- Family and Medical Leave Inclusion Act
- Early Treatment for HIV Act
- Uniting American Families Act
- Reuniting American Families Act
- Every Child Deserves a Family Act
- Student Non-Discrimination Act
- Safe Schools Improvement Act
- Healthy Families Act
- Freedom from Discrimination in Credit Act