Track Record of John Lewis on Health Care
- Leader in creating the National Center on Minority and Health Disparities at the National Institutes of Health.
- Leader in getting smoking banned in airports.
- Worked to get Medicare to cover preventative screenings for things like Glaucoma.
- Helped ensure that Community Health Centers are reimbursed properly for treating seniors covered by Medicare and I will continue to work on this issue until the job is done.
- Committed to fighting Chronic Kidney Disease and End Stage Renal Disease and have introduced legislation helping those who suffer from these diseases receive the highest quality care and taking the first of many steps toward preventing these terrible diseases.
- Long-time supporter of hospitals in our district. Delivered more than one million dollars over the past three years to Grady Health System for their Disaster Preparedness Center, $300,000 to St. Joseph's Mercy Care Services to improve quality of care through electronic health records, and $150,000 for Piedmont Hospital for their Sixty-Plus Senior Care Transition Grant Program. These are just a few projects that were funded in our district before earmarks were ended.
- Committed to NIH funding and research, which will lead to the eradication of so many terrible diseases. We are all proud to have the CDC in our district and so many wonderful Colleges and Universities.